In today’s era, bipolar disorder is becoming so common. This disorder is actually related to mental health, where the person suffering from it faces extreme mood swings. It leads to depression and makes a negative impact on sleep, behaviour, activities, etc. Furthermore, it can also cause relationship break-ups and violence.
In this write-up, let’s talk about the meaning of bipolar disorder, understand whether yoga can cure it, and know the most effective yoga for bipolar disorder.
What is Bipolar Disorder?
Bipolar disorder is a mental condition that can impact your energy, mood, and ability to work. People with this disorder have frequent mood swings and periods of extreme feelings. It has been demonstrated that stress is one of the primary causes of bipolar disorder.
Anything that reduces stress and anxiety is beneficial in treating bipolar disorder. Yoga can be an effective complement to a bipolar disorder treatment regimen. It combines physical, meditative, and emotional elements that aid in managing this disorder.
Can Yoga Cure Bipolar Disorder?
Yoga for bipolar disorder can help you control mood swings and fluctuations in emotions. It is a great practice to understand and control the body and mind.
The practitioner learns that moods and other bodily and mental sensations are transient. One gains self-awareness, which aids in the control of some of their manic tendencies. Asanas and pranayama are great for treating melancholy, anxiety, rage, and neurotic symptoms.
For instance, pranayama helps to stabilize and boost brain activity. Meditation and yoga nidra (guided meditation) relax the mind. Hence, yoga surely helps in bipolar disorder treatment.
It has been seen that most people with bipolar disorder benefit from proper yoga therapy. It controls their mood swings and accompanying symptoms. A proper approach combines medication, authentic online yoga courses or programs, and counseling to reduce symptom severity and avoid recurrence.
How Yoga Asanas Help Bipolar Disorder?
The autonomic nervous system facilitates the ability to feel emotions in the human body. When you practice yoga, it stimulates the nervous system and helps you monitor and control emotional changes.
According to the philosophy of yoga, there are five sheats (Pancha Maya Kosha) of our being. Two of these are:
- Annamayakosha (the physical body): The regular expressions like vision, touch, feel, etc., fall under it.
- Manamaykosha (the mental-emotional body): The expressions like emotions and feelings fall under it.
When you do yoga, it helps you bring integration between your physical body and mental-emotional body. Hence, yoga helps in bipolar disorder treatment.
Undoubtedly, it doesn’t happen overnight. Regular practice of yoga for bipolar disorder and authentic online yoga courses can help you better integrate the physical and mental-emotional bodies at a deeper level.
Yoga Poses for Bipolar Disorder Treatment
Yoga brings peace. It combines regulated movement, controlled breathing, and meditation. This combo makes you feel both rested and energized.
Let’s know about the different poses of yoga for bipolar disorder treatment:
1. Dandasana (Staff Pose)
Dandasana, also called the staff pose, is considered good for reducing mood swings. In addition to it, this yoga pose also helps you to stretch lower back muscles and the upper body.
How to do Dandasana?
- Sit with your back straight and your legs front on the floor.
- Your legs should be parallel to each other.
- Alongside your hips, place your hands on the ground.
- When in this position, your upper body should be in a straight line.
- Lift through the deep lower abdomen by pressing the hands straight down.
- Lift the crown to the ceiling while keeping your body perpendicular to the ceiling.
- Maintain your fundamental engagement.
- Hold the stance for 1 minute before repeating.
2. Ardha Pincha Mayurasana (Dolphin Pose)
This is one of the most effective yoga asanas for bipolar disorder treatment. Dolphin pose stretches the legs, shoulders, and upper body.
How to do Dolphin Pose?
- Begin in a table position with your forearms on the floor and your hips facing the ceiling.
- Lift the hips by pressing the forearms, fingers, and palms on the floor.
- Maintain a straight back and press the heels onto the floor.
- Inhale and exhale for 1 minute, then exhale.
3. Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose)
Another yoga pose to treat bipolar disorder with yoga is Setu Bandhasana. It is easy to practice and effective.
How to do Setu Bandasana or Bridge pose?
- Lie face up on the floor.
- Hold onto your ankles with your heels near your hips.
- Inhale now and elevate your hips.
- Try to reach the highest point while keeping your breathing constant.
- Hold for 4-6 breaths before slowly exhaling to the starting position.
- Relax your legs parallel to the ground.
4. Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend)
This yoga for bipolar disorder treatment reduces the mood swings and controls them effectively. It is also great for stretching lower back and hips, toning the shoulders and abs. You can do it for pelvic pain relief as well.
How to practice Seated Forward Bend?
- Straighten your back and sit with your legs straight in front of you.
- Inhale as you flex your toes towards you.
- Stretch by raising your hands to the roof.
- Exhale and bend forward, bringing your chin to your toes.
- Allow your hands to reach your toes or further. Hold your right hand with your left if you can reach past your toes.
- Put your head on your knees or shins. Maintain your position while inhaling.
- Exhale as you stretch your arms again and slowly return to the starting position.
- Inhale, then lower your arms and relax.
5. Garudasana (Eagle Pose)
Eagle or Garud is known as the king of the birds. Garudasana yoga for bipolar disorder is effective in making the balance and focus better. The areas of the body covered in this pose include thighs, legs, ankles, upper back, and shoulders.
How to do Garudasana?
- Stand up straight, hands on your sides, and back straight.
- Kneel and stretch your arms in front of you.
- Put all of your weight on the left foot by crossing the right thigh over the left.
- Hook the left calf with the right foot.
- Wrap your elbows and wrists together and place your right arm beneath your left arm.
- Feel the stretch in your hips as you move your hips towards the earth.
- Exhale and untangle the hands and legs, returning to the starting posture.
- Repeat on the opposite side.
FAQs Related to Bipolar Disorder Yoga
Bipolar disorder is a psychiatric condition characterized by extreme mood swings. It can also cause drastic changes in your energy and activity levels.
There are several ways to treat it. Among them, one of the best methods to unwind your body and mind is yoga. Different yoga asanas for bipolar disorder are beneficial in your battle against this condition.
Bipolar disorder and associated disorders come in a variety of ways. Mania, hypomania, and depression are all symptoms of bipolar disorder. Symptoms can cause abrupt changes in mood and behavior, causing severe distress and trouble in daily life.
The primary causes of bipolar disorder include genetic factors, biological traits (imbalance in hormones), and several life events (abuse, depression, traumas, etc.)
Join the online yoga courses by hellomyyoga
|Health and Wellness Courses||Emotional Intelligence Courses||Online Ayurveda Courses|
|Online Meditation Courses||Yoga for Women||Yoga Therapy Courses|
|Mental Health Courses||Prenatal Yoga Courses||Yoga for Senior Citizens|
Bipolar disorder undoubtedly affects the life of the person suffering from it. When it gets extreme, it is important to consult a psychiatrist. On your own, you must focus on some physical activities and regular meditation. For instance, you can opt for authentic yoga courses online. Yoga poses for bipolar disorder mentioned above can be practiced at home.