Ovaries are the essential female organs. They are responsible for several processes that maintain female health. This is the organ through which several female hormones like relaxin, oestrogen, inhibin and progesterone are produced.
Sometimes an inhibition or irregular functioning of these organs disturbs the release of these hormones. This, in turn, causes several diseases and medical conditions in the female body. One such condition is PCOD or polycystic ovarian disease.
It is estimated that almost 10% of the world’s female population is affected by PCOD. In this, ovaries, due to various reasons, start to release immature eggs. This release of immature eggs affects hormone levels. This, in turn, increases the level of male hormones inside the female body, which decreases female fertility.
Irregular lifestyles and bad habits are promoting this condition in young females. However, maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle may help females to keep their ovaries healthy. As we all know, practising yoga is the best way to live a healthy life. It makes a person more aware and helps them live a disciplined life.
Similarly, yoga is found very helpful in balancing out the symptoms of PCOD.
What PCOD Feels Like?
Females with PCOD syndrome may feel or experience the following things:
- Irregular menstrual cycle.
- Unwanted weight loss or weight gain.
- Reduced energy levels and feeling lethargic all time.
- Aces on the face and other areas of the body.
- Increased stress and anxiety levels.
- Extreme period cramps and pain.
- Disturbed sleep cycle and feeling insomniac.
Also Read: HOW TO BE HAPPY IN LIFE
How Yoga Helps PCOD Patients?
Yoga is a great way to balance the irregular functioning of body organs. It surely helps females control the anxiety and depression that they may experience with PCOD. Making yoga a part of your daily routine will bring discipline to your life.
Firstly it will eliminate the chances of getting PCOD. If someone has already been affected by PCOD, they will surely benefit from yoga. Several yoga asanas help to increase blood circulation in the pelvis area. It gently compresses and stretches the internal organs. Also, breathing yoga maintains the flow of Vata inside the body.
Benefits of Yoga for PCOD
- Yoga greatly reduces anxiety levels by calming the body and mind.
- Improves blood circulation to the affected organs and areas.
- Reduces the production of male hormones in the female body.
- Improved blood circulation helps to decrease inflammation and pain.
- Yoga is a great way to burn calories. It reduces the extra fat and weight that people gain due to PCOD. It is a great way to tone the body.
- Yoga is a great way to balance your sleep cycle. Good sleep is a great way to manage the imbalance of hormone levels.
Also Read: FULL GUIDE TO VINYASA YOGA
Yoga for PCOD Patients
People think of yoga as a physical exercise or workout. This is not true. Yoga is a combination of physical, spiritual and mental practices that benefit a human being. It is difficult to learn real yoga without practice and guidance.
You need a trainer who can teach you and make you learn the yogic aspects.
Reliable online yoga courses and counselling by hellomyyoga are the best way to involve yourself in regular yoga. Our experienced yoga gurus will help you find the best solutions to heal your PCOD and other problems. You will also learn the techniques through which you can minimise your symptoms.
Hello my yoga is a platform created for people who want to explore the real prospects of yoga. We aim to provide people with solutions to every yoga and lifestyle-related issue.
The Best Yoga Poses for PCOD
Yoga has a wide range of asanas. These asanas may be easy or tough to perform based on their use and nature. Some of the yoga asanas have been found to be really helpful in easing the symptoms of PCOD and PCOS.
It is important to rule out the most effective yoga postures for yourself. An asana that benefits one person may not be that much beneficial for the other.
The effectiveness of the asana totally depends on the root cause of the problems. You must diagnose the cause and rule out the best possible asana from a professional yoga guru.
However, a few common yoga asanas benefit females suffering from PCOD. These are:
Cobra pose is a great way to balance out the irregular menstrual cycle. It increases the blood flow to female reproductive organs. It is a great way to reduce menstrual cramps and strengthen the surrounding muscle.
How to perform?
- Lie down on the floor with your belly touching the floor.
- Now keep your hand parallel to your body in a comfortable position.
- Now bring your hand close to your chest parallel.
- Lift up your upper body while keeping your lower body in touch with the floor.
- Keep your head upwards and look towards the sky.
- Stay in the position for a few seconds and relax.
2. Anulom Vilom
It is a great asana to calm your body and mind. It fixes the imbalance of hormones and the sleep cycle, thus reducing multiple PCOD symptoms. Also, it promotes good sleep, which is a must for curing sleep disorder or condition. To see the benefits, you must perform anulom vilom for at least 10-15 minutes daily.
How to perform?
- Hold your right nostril and inhale from the left nostril.
- Now exhale from the right nostril while holding your left nostril.
- Now hold your left nostril and inhale from your right nostril.
- Now exhale from your left nostril while holding your right nostril.
- Take deep breaths and hold them for some time in your lungs and then release it.
- Perform it on an empty stomach.
Among the list of yoga poses for PCOD, Surya Namaskar is one of the most impactful ones. Also called the Sun Salutation stance, this yoga helps you reduce weight, make the lipid profile better, and regulate the menstrual cycle.
In addition, Surya Namaskar for PCOD also aids in reducing the waist-to-hip ratio. For best results, it is suggested to practice it 3-4 every day. Ensure to make it on a daily basis, or better, go for authentic yoga courses or courses.
How to perform Surya Namaskar?
- Stand in the prayer position with folded hands.
- Recline backwards while taking your folded hands along. Inhale as you do so.
- Now, bring your hands forwards while inclining. Bend your knees and try to touch your feet with both hands. Exhale as you do so.
- Bend the right knee and take the right leg behind. The left leg should be forward and your face should be up looking at the sky.
- Now, breathe out and form your body in V-shape.
- Next, breathe in and get into cobra pose.
- Now, one by one, retrace these steps and come back to the first position of Surya Namaskar.
Repeat 4-5 times for good results. Also, do all the instances slowly and nicely.
Also Read: YOGA POSES FOR PREGNANT WOMEN
Yoga for PCOD FAQs
Yoga can help manage the symptoms and inflammation that one gets through PCOD. Practising regular yoga asanas like malasana, bhujanga asana and pranayama under experienced guidance will surely help you with PCOS and PCOD.
Insulin resistance, post-pill, adrenal PCOS and inflammatory PCOS are four different types of PCOS.
Irregular menstrual cycle, excessive hair growth, hair thinning, skin problems, and insomnia are common symptoms of PCOD and PCOS.
Join the online yoga courses by hellomyyoga
|Health and Wellness Courses||Emotional Intelligence Courses||Online Ayurveda Courses|
|Online Meditation Courses||Yoga for Women||Yoga Therapy Courses|
|Mental Health Courses||Prenatal Yoga Courses||Yoga for Senior Citizens|
Managing the symptoms of PCOD is really important. They may mess up your life and meddle with your daily routine work.
You need to find the techniques that would help you feel better. It greatly relaxes your mind and helps you stay positive during tough times. Apart from this, you need to maintain a healthy diet. This would also help in the healing process.
Learning yoga has now been made easy with our online yoga programs. Learn yoga with experienced and professional trainers.